Looking for the best universal remote controls? Our editors hand-picked these products based on our tests and reviews.
How we picked and tested
A universal remote control has to be, well, universal. That means that the remote can control all the components an average audio/video enthusiast could throw at it. A remote that can juggle eight devices at once will cover most systems. It should also have a well-organized button layout or on-screen display that can combine multiple actions into one button. Finally, it should be easy to program and connect with your devices.
If you scan Amazon and other online retailers for universal remotes you’ll find a lot of low-end replacement remotes—remotes whose primary purpose is to replace the one the dog ate and do little else. Competition in the advanced remote category is very small. Though we did sample other products, these days, selecting the best universal remote is largely a matter of selecting the best Logitech Harmony device. There are also several systems for using your smartphone as a remote, but we think the demands of unlocking the phone and opening an app for something as simple as changing a channel rules out the app approach for most people.
Who needs a universal remote?
You already have a remote for your TV and your DVR, so why do you need another? If your home entertainment system consists of only two or three devices, such as a TV, a DVR, and maybe a DVD or Blu-ray player, you may not want a universal remote. But if sitting down to watch TV or a movie requires shuffling between several remotes, switching inputs, and powering multiple components at the same time, a universal remote is for you.
Air mouse: 6 Axis gyration motion technology allows remote to be controlled accurately for motion sensing game,it’s more convenient to operate in horizontal and vertical mode for games and typing.
Voice Control: Use built-in digital MEMS mic to instantly find TV shows, movies, and games, just say what’s on your mind.
Touch Control: The four-direction navigation touchpad around the center key “OK” to exchange channels, movies or videos.
Protocol: Bluetooth 4.0
Keypad Type: ABS plastic
Power Supply: 2*AA
Operating Voltage: 2.2~3.6V
Working frequency: 2.40GHz~2.48GHz
Transmission distance: 20~30ft（touch / voice/airmouse） 30~50ft（Key）
Standby current: ≤50uA
Standalone programmable handheld remote provides single-room IR control – TV, A/V components, cable and satellite boxes. It is ideal for smaller home theater installations and basic A/V control in kitchens and bedrooms. The 2” LCD screen displays up to 18 devices (three pages, six devices per page) plus 48 favorite channels. When used with a compatible Complete Control base station, the MX-450 controls integrated entertainment components through walls and cabinet doors, or even from outside. There is no need to point the remote control at the components or even be in the same room.
Handheld remote with 2” color LCD • Displays up to six buttons per screen
Ergonomic design with backlit hard button keypad
Delivers single-room, one-way control of IR devices
Controls A/V through walls and cabinet doors, or from outside – compatible base station required
No need to point remote at components or be in the same room
Operates on standard AA alkaline batteries
The SURFiR companion remote represents a revolutionary new concept in control – allow users to incorporate Apple or Android devices as the main graphical interface for their control system, while adding the convenience of hard buttons for tactile control. This eliminates the numerous screen swipes needed for control tasks that require frequent interaction such as channel changes, DVR control or volume adjustments. The SURFiR allows the user to enjoy the other benefits of their smart phone or tablet device: checking email, reading news feeds, accessing social media, etc. To further enhance the experience for the user, the SURFiR can track which electronic device is being controlled by the RTiPanel app and automatically controls the same. Powerful and intuitive control in an inexpensive package – everything you desire in a companion remote.
- Provides a companion remote for use with the RTiPanel and Virtual Panel apps.
- Tracks page changes to stay in sync with one or more apps.
- Dual RF transmission capability uses 433MHz and 2.4GHz (utilizing Zigbee® technology).
- Remote finder beeper allows user to easily locate SURFiR by pressing a button on their smart phone or tablet.
- Ergonomic design permits effortless, one-handed operation.
- Completely customizable and programmable.
- Security screw on battery door for hotel applications.
- Inexpensive and requires no direct programming.*
- Includes eight buttons that can be custom labeled.
- Select between 433MHz and 2.4GHz RF operation.
- Works with any XP series control processor.
- Battery low indicator.
- Uses 4 AAA batteries.
- Support for 8 devices is enabled at software setup – replaces up to 8 remotes, reducing complexity and clutter in your living room. AA batteries required (best with Polaroid AA batteries)
- Bright color screen shows your channel favorite icons plus commands for easy navigation
- One-touch Activity buttons like “Watch a DVD” automatically switch the right devices to the right settings
- Compatible with 225,000+ devices from 5000+ brands, including devices you own today and add tomorrow
- System Requirements: Windows XP, Windows Vist Windows 7 or Windows 8,Mac OS X 10.6 or later
- Control up to 2 devices at the same time
- Features a back-lit keypad
- Preset channels
If you’re looking for an easy-to-use universal remote to control up to eight devices, we recommend the Dusun 3 in 1 Bluetooth Remote Control. It’s the best option for most people looking to simplify the operation of their home theater or media system. It’s easier to program than any non-Harmony remote. Its backlit hard-button layout makes it simple to use, even in the dark, and it’s way cheaper than other systems that are equally comprehensive.